Saturday, May 3, 2008





April 24, day 26

By 8 am I was driving north on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had hopes of making the end of the Parkway by about mid afternoon, figuring on the 45 mph maximum speed limit. What I forgot to factor in was the “wow” factor. It seemed like every mile or two there was a pull-off, each with a more spectacular view than the previous. I think the best way to describe the experience of driving this road is simple joy. It would probably be even more fun with a sports car, preferably with the top down. I finally had to stop pulling off if I was to have any hope of reaching the end of the Parkway before dark.

The Parkway runs along the crest of the Blue Ridge, and at times one can see down into the valleys on both sides of the ridge. The average elevation was about 3000 feet. At higher altitudes the trees were not as fully leafed out. Mountain laurel, red bud trees, and dogwood were very common along the entire route.

Almost by accident I found an area park located within the Parkway itself. It was called the Julian Price Memorial Park, and I almost drove on by. I am so glad I decided to turn in. As I got out of the car I was presented with a scene of such beauty it almost took my breath away. Before me was a small lake, perfectly calm, and surrounded by flowering trees. The only sound was the singing of songbirds. I found many, many opportunities for photos. I have attached a few for your enjoyment

I found a historic site called the Puckett Cabin. It was the home of “Aunt” Orelena Hawks Puckett during the latter of her 102 years. Born in 1837, she was a bride at 16. She was past age 50 when she began a long career of midwifery. She assisted in the births of more than 1000 babies, delivering the last in 1939, the year she died. It is said she never lost a child or mother through her own fault. Ironically, none of Mrs. Puckett’s own 24 children lived beyond infancy.

My home tonight is a Wal-Mart parking lot, having arrived too late at Shenandoah National Park.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

1 comment:

The Caretaker said...

Nice Photos, great to see the blooms.
Sounds like a good trip so far, good luck.